Skip to main content

New York. D'Agostino Shows Some Class. Drops Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Back in the late 70s, when I was in my early twenties, I lived on E20th Street between First Avenue and the FDR Drive in Manhattan. For the locals, the area is still known as Stuyvesant Town. Down the block was a grocery store called D'Agostino. For all I know, it could still be there but there are many branches in the city. It was a time when I counted every penny, couldn't afford to eat out, made my lunch and dinner from the stuff I bought from D'Agostino, saving money by shopping there. That went on for three years until I moved to Queens. So, I was all ears when I heard something about this chain of groceries in the news, something relating to animal welfare at that, something good.

Well, as it turned out, D'Agostino became the latest business establishment to drop their partnership with that God awful, inhumane, saddest show on Earth, Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus. Unaware of the hideous imprisonment and forced labor of animals practiced by the circus, D'Agostino offered their patrons discounted tickets to the show. That's okay because we can't expect every business out there to be on the ball when it comes to animal welfare. The great thing is that D'Agostino dropped the promotion after PETA enlightened them about the plight of the Asian elephants, their chaining for long hours, the loneliness, the forced separation from their children, the bullhooking, the temperature extremes, and other forms of deprivation and cruelty that Ringling believes is acceptable. My old lifeline, D'Agostino has joined Denny's, Liz Claiborne, Lukoil, MasterCard, and Sears, Roebuck and Co. in ending their sponsorship of Ringling. Good job, D'Agostino.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philippines. Reporting Animal Cruelty. Emergency Numbers. RA 8485.

Because I belong to an group of animal welfare advocates in the Philippines, I can read the numerous discussions between group members and people who, seems to me, just signed up to make an urgent plea for help. There were two this week who begged for assistance concerning two dogs who were tied up under rain and sun with no food nor water. One was described to be on the verge of a heat stroke. The images that filled my mind disturbed me immensely, but I am also encouraged at the same time. There is a growing number of animal welfare advocates in the Philippines and ordinary citizens are beginning to reject animal cruelty, willing to take personal action against it. Just from this website, I can see from the visitor data that many are seeking information on how to report animal cruelty in the Philippines. You can find my previous post on the subject HERE . Keep in mind that your complaint has legal standing via the Philippine Animal Welfare Act which is also known as the RA 8485 ....

Three Members of the Philippine Shooting Team and the Killing of Protected Philippine Wildlife

When a member of the animal or plant kingdom goes extinct, there will be no second chances. Evolution will simply not repeat itself. There are reportedly eighty bird species that are unique to the Philippines and many of them have already made it to the endangered list. And we, to a great extent, have indiscrimate hunting to thank for it. In spite of two national laws protecting Philippine animals, the carnage continues unabated. The killings could occur as arbitrarily as guys getting together for macho time, or as a result of a well-planned hunting trip involving speed boats, bird callers, and camouflaged outfits. Either way, the outcome is the same. Philippine wildlife, our natural treasures, inches closer to a state of irreparable vacancy. Not too long ago, we learned about the Bacolod Air Rifle Club (BARC) whose unbridled killing of Philippine birds and ducks became the subject of an online petition calling for immediate government intervention. My post on that most disturbing c...

Pitbull Saves Family from Cobra, Killed in Action

Take a good look. Doesn't he seem like the vicious pitbull we have been warned about? Temperamental and treacherous? He'll attack family members, even children. Well, actually, he was far from it. I said that in the past tense because Chief is no longer with us on this Earth. Two human beings are alive today because Chief gave his life for them. How many people do you know who are willing to make that last full measure of devotion? He saved an 87-year-old Liberata la Victoria and her granddaughter Maria Victoria Fronteras from a cobra that slithered through an opening in the family’s kitchen. The confrontation left two dead, but let two others live out their lives. This was in Cagayan de Oro City (Philippines) in February, 2007. Chief's story is one that hardcore anti- pitbull people would have trouble understanding and accepting. But, here it is whether they like it or not. Those who are plain ignorant about the breed might free themselves from this prison by giving...