Friday, December 05, 2008

Pets as Gifts. ASPCA Message. Holidays, 2008.

Here's a message from our friends at the ASPCA regarding pets as gifts this holiday season. If you ask me, I'd say just forget about it. I don't like the idea of animals as gifts even if you are good -intentioned. There's something about the holidays, or birthdays, that has " IMPULSE " blinking in red in my mind. Getting a pet should be a well thought-out process. In the best of worlds, getting a pet should be about giving an animal a better life and not making someone happy on a special occasion. Yes, I know. It's not a perfect world, and there are many cases where things have worked out quite well for both gift and celebrant. I don't always get my way. In case you are in the hunt for a pet this holiday season, take a few minutes to listen to ASPCA President Ed Sayres and Officer Annemarie Lucas, ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement’s Supervisory Special Investigator:

1 comment:

air said...

I've seen too many problems with animals given as gifts. Too many. 9 times out of 10, the pet is given to someone who really DOESN'T want a pet or is not capable of taking care of it.

It's not a Christmas problem either. Lets not forget the ducks and bunnies at easter.