Skip to main content

Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey Circus. Protest. Madison Square Garden. April 5, 2008.

This was the third Saturday in a row that animal rights activists protested the circus at the Garden in New York City. I am not sure what groups were represented at the demonstrations, but certainly NJ Animal Rights Alliance (NJARA) and NYC Animal Rights.com took part in them. I am both a member of PETA and the NJARA. I was glad to make it to last Saturday's demo, having missed the first two. Most of the demonstrators worked from 2pm until 8pm covering both shows that day. One group positioned themselves at 34th street and 7th Avenue and another group worked the corner of 32nd street and 7th Avenue, across the street from the Garden's main entrance. We had the usual loud speakers and projection screen ( actually a white sheet ) to inform and visually show the crowds the cruelty that circus animals go through. People gawked at the video images, realizing only then that cruelty actually happens at the circus. Some people have no clue! It pleased me to see the sudden realization in their faces. Knowing that more people have become aware of the problem, I believe that their disgust will grow exponentially among other people. These are my sentiments exactly. It's about getting the word out there, changing minds, spreading information, proselytizing.

My wife curiously asked me if I yell and scream at demonstrations. Well, no. That's why we have those loud speakers. Taped messages are played over them while video images are projected on a screen. I meet people, hand out literature about cruelty in circuses, engage people in a conversation about the lives of circus animals, suggest alternatives to animal circuses ( the Big Apple Circus stopped using animals; Cirque de Soleil has no animals ), and I urge them on to visit Circuses.com where they can get more information about the problem.

The confluence of the exits/entrances and the sidewalks served me very well. It's the best place to meet the people who actually paid to see the circus. Some people resented my raining on their parade---I carried a large poster of a miserable, old, chained elephant, as if to shove it up their faces--- but this is something I have to do.

Being courteous and pleasant with the public is a must. I wished those with prepaid tickets a nice evening, but to avoid the circus next time---now that they have an idea of the inherent cruelty in animal circuses. One lady told me that our video presentation turned her off to the circus, and I handed her some literature for further reading. Most people are equally pleasant, but there are some who figuratively thumbed their noses at me. I talked to a large group, probably ten people, who knew nothing about the cruelty. They were not there to watch, but only passing by. Nevertheless, they are now ten people who know better. The word is that attendance at the circus is down, and Ringling is giving away free tickets as a promotional gimmick. I did not get the chance to take a lot of photos. The following are the only photos I took of the demonstration:



Our base at 32nd St. and 7th Avenue. People cross here and exposure is great.

This is Benjamin. I met him for the first time on Saturday. He carried the same poster I did.



Our small desk and projection area across Madison Square Garden


Two ladies taking their case to the street

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philippines. Reporting Animal Cruelty. Emergency Numbers. RA 8485.

Because I belong to an group of animal welfare advocates in the Philippines, I can read the numerous discussions between group members and people who, seems to me, just signed up to make an urgent plea for help. There were two this week who begged for assistance concerning two dogs who were tied up under rain and sun with no food nor water. One was described to be on the verge of a heat stroke. The images that filled my mind disturbed me immensely, but I am also encouraged at the same time. There is a growing number of animal welfare advocates in the Philippines and ordinary citizens are beginning to reject animal cruelty, willing to take personal action against it. Just from this website, I can see from the visitor data that many are seeking information on how to report animal cruelty in the Philippines. You can find my previous post on the subject HERE . Keep in mind that your complaint has legal standing via the Philippine Animal Welfare Act which is also known as the RA 8485 .

Three Members of the Philippine Shooting Team and the Killing of Protected Philippine Wildlife

When a member of the animal or plant kingdom goes extinct, there will be no second chances. Evolution will simply not repeat itself. There are reportedly eighty bird species that are unique to the Philippines and many of them have already made it to the endangered list. And we, to a great extent, have indiscrimate hunting to thank for it. In spite of two national laws protecting Philippine animals, the carnage continues unabated. The killings could occur as arbitrarily as guys getting together for macho time, or as a result of a well-planned hunting trip involving speed boats, bird callers, and camouflaged outfits. Either way, the outcome is the same. Philippine wildlife, our natural treasures, inches closer to a state of irreparable vacancy. Not too long ago, we learned about the Bacolod Air Rifle Club (BARC) whose unbridled killing of Philippine birds and ducks became the subject of an online petition calling for immediate government intervention. My post on that most disturbing c

Antipolo. Philippines. Dog Fighting. Dan Sy Tan Arraigned.

It looks like the noose is getting tighter around the neck of Dan Sy Tan , the alleged but obviously guilty ring leader of a vicious dogfighting ring in the town of Antipolo, Rizal in the Philippines. He was finally arraigned on June 5, 2008 for his crimes, illegal gambling and violating the Philippine Animal Welfare Act of 1998 . Caught redhanded by undercover cops posing as spectators, Dan Tan and his business associates face overwhelming evidence. Included in the ring are three Thai nationals who fled the country last year. They are on videotape. There are gate receipts, eye witnesses, veterinary statements, all point to their guilt. These guys made money from the blood of fighting dogs. What a way to make a living! It's been a full year since the night of the raid, but we'll take every bit of victory we can get. I say " We " because I am a member of the Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) who worked with the police to capture these poor excuses for human be