Thursday, February 19, 2009

California. Redlands. Vegetarian Lunch. A Discovery for Some.


Greetings from California. My wife and I arrived here last night for a two-week vacation in the San Bernardino area. We come here almost every year, around this time, to visit her family. For lunch today, my brother-in-law brought us to a newly opened vegetarian restaurant in Redlands. His wife and daughter-in-law are vegetarians and he's making his first moves towards the lifestyle. Anyway, we ordered the staple dishes---orange chicken, sizzling platter, Buddhist delight, a beef dish. I was glad we were actually in a vegetarian restaurant because my wife refuses to even try one in New Jersey. Well, she was pleasantly surprised. I have tried convincing her that vegetarian food has gone a long way from being just alfalfa sprouts and carrots. Vegetarian food is not rabbit food. There is a lot of creativity and flavor in vegetarian food. She actually liked it. I think we've made a breakthrough here.

2 comments:

air said...

Most PURE vegan restaurants in New Jersey are Indian. Which is OK by me because my daughter and I adore Indian food. Another one of her favorites is Makeda in New Brunswick. It is Ethiopian cuisine and although not pure vegan, it has a LOT of vegan choices. Pricey, but worth it.

GAD...now I'm hungry!

Vegan Good Life said...

It's sad vegan/vegetarian food still has such a stigma. It's all about exposing our circle of people we interact with to how delicious and wholesome vegetarian food is. Have a great trip.